Site Location: David Edward Elstone 10538 Highway 118, Lot 26, Concession 3 , Stanhope Geographic Township, Algonquin Highlands
Application Type: Amendment
Additional Useable Area Proposed in Amendment: 1.61 hectares
Type of Disposal: Surface Spreading
Highlights of Approval Requirements:
- Prior to operating at the Site, the Company shall develop written procedures covering the following:
- procedures for reporting to the Ministry, and municipal authorities as required in the event a spill occurs at the Site;
- a list of the personnel responsible for operations at the Site.
- The Company shall ensure that all personnel involved in the operation of this Hauled Sewage Disposal Site are aware of the requirements of this Approval and are trained in Spill Prevention.
- Spills of a pollutant that cause or may cause an adverse effect are to be reported to the Ministry's Spills Action Centre and the Company shall take appropriate remedial action to limit the impact. The Company must ensure that no unnecessary off-Site effects, such as vermin, vectors, odour, dust, litter, noise or traffic, result from the operation of this Site.
- Written records must be maintained in a log book that documents daily operations as well as any spills that occur and any complaints received.
- To avoid run-off::
- no Hauled Sewage shall be spread or disposed of at the Site when the ground is frozen, ice-covered or snow covered;
- no Hauled Sewage shall be spread at the Site under conditions where Hauled Sewage may runoff or discharge from the Site.
- Hauled sewage cannot be spread during winter months.
- The approval sets out a maximum spreading rate and hauled sewage cannot be spread on land that has a slope greater than 9%. In addition, spreading cannot take place within specified distances of sensitive features such as surface water, wells and residences.
- Prior to the spreading of hauled sewage, the operator shall ensure the useable spreading area is clearly flagged or digitally designated to clearly identify setbacks from sensitive features and any areas where spreading is not allowed.
- No processed organic waste, grease trap waste or other waste, other than Hauled Sewage, shall be stored, spread or disposed of at the Site.
Prior to the spreading of hauled sewage, the operator is responsible for ensuring that all necessary approvals, licences or permits that may be required from other authorities, such as the local municipality, conservation authority, MNRF and OMAFRA, have been acquired.