A decision was made to proceed with the regulatory amendments.
All of the regulation changes came into effect on February 19, 2016.
Amendments to the following regulations under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) were made:
A) Ontario Regulation 670/98 (Open Seasons - Wildlife) to establish an open season for black bear in WMUs 1-19, 21-50, 53-64, 66-69, 71-76, 83, the geographic townships of Keppel and Sarawak in 82A and the geographic township of Amabel in 84 from May 1 to June 15 in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
B) Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting) to prohibit shooting, or attempting to shoot at, a cub or a female bear accompanied by a cub or cubs during May or June, to establish the mandatory questionnaire relating to the hunting activities carried out during the pilot project, and to establish the rules associated with baiting black bear in the spring and fall seasons:
• bait must not be placed within 500 metres of a dwelling unless written permission is obtained from the owner of the land upon which the dwelling is located;
• bait must not be placed within 500 metres of a public building; and
• bait must not be placed within 200 metres of a right of way for public vehicular traffic or a recreational trail that is established and maintained by an organization for use by the general public.
The regulations were filed by the Registrar of Regulations on February 19, 2016 and were published in the Ontario Gazette on March 5, 2016.
The following web links provide additional (or supporting) information:
• E-Laws – O. Reg. 665/98 (Hunting). The current regulatory provisions
regarding the hunting of black bear and other big game species are found in O. Reg. 665/98:
• E-Laws – O. Reg. 670/98 (Open Seasons – Wildlife). The current regulatory provisions regarding open seasons for black bear and other game species are found in O. Reg. 670/98:
• News Release: Ontario to Expand Black Bear Hunting Pilot: http://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2016/02/ontario-to-expand-black-bear-hunting-pilot.html
• Map of Wildlife Management Units in Pilot: http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/files/er/black-bear-expanded-pilot-october-2015.pdf