The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) is developing a Sector Strategy to guide the further growth and development of the agriculture, aquaculture and food processing sector in Northern Ontario and is seeking input on its development, including a proposed framework for doing so.
The government recognizes the unique challenges and opportunities to growing this sector in Northern Ontario, and wants to ensure that opportunities are identified and mechanisms to advance related development are in place to support future growth.
The Northern Ontario Agriculture, Aquaculture and Food Processing Sector Strategy will build on the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario (GPNO), a strategic framework led by the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines that is guiding decision-making and investment planning in Northern Ontario until 2036. The agriculture, aquaculture and food processing sector is identified as one of 11 existing and emerging priority economic sectors in the Growth Plan.
OMAFRA is committed to a coordinated approach to the development of the Sector Strategy and will work closely with its partner ministries to do so.
OMAFRA is proposing a framework for developing the Sector Strategy, which includes a goal, principles and objectives, and outlines how government can help enable efforts to achieve the proposed objectives as follows:
Goal: Strengthen the role of agriculture, aquaculture and food processing in the economy of Northern Ontario
• Industry-led, government enabled
• Outcome oriented
• Coordinated, whole of government approach
• Identify and act upon sector opportunities, balancing growth with environmental considerations
• Diversify regional economies and strengthen Northern food systems
• Contribute to meeting the direction of the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario and the Premier’s Agri-Food Challenge
• Expand opportunities with new partners including municipalities and First Nations and Métis communities
Government Supports that can help to achieve the outlined objectives are include:
• Advisory Services,
• Funding Programs, and
• Policy and Regulatory Support
The purpose of the posting will be to solicit input towards the development agriculture, aquaculture and food processing Sector Strategy, to seek feedback on the government’s proposed framework for developing the Strategy and to identify opportunities and challenges to achieving the objectives in the proposed framework.