A decision was made on August 31, 2016 to proceed with the Maintaining Water Management Plans Technical Bulletin as described, subject to changes made as a result of public consultation outlined below, and to defer proceeding with a technical bulletin for preparing dam operating plans at this time. When a decision on this technical bulletin is made in the future, MNRF will provide notice on the Environmental Registry.
A link to the Maintaining Water Management Plans Technical Bulletin is provided:
A French executive summary of the Technical Bulletin is provided:
MNRF received 37 comment submissions on the proposed technical bulletin, some of which were supportive and some of which were not supportive.
The following is a summary of key revisions to the Technical Bulletin in response to comments received:
• Clarification of the purpose of WMPs, including their continuity as living documents and the requirement for incorporation of mandatory changes into existing WMPs;
• details on the plan amendment process, including the amendment request process and submission requirements;
• addition of an oversight role for the Ministry in determining whether an amendment request should be further considered by the proponent, and what consultation and engagement should occur with the amendment proposal;
• strengthening of the purpose and status of existing standing advisory committees;
• clarification of requirements for monitoring and reporting including: incident notification; annual compliance reporting; effectiveness monitoring and data collection; and
• enhanced description of the purpose and scope of the five year Implementation Report.