The proposed guide will provide advice and guidance on best practices in applying the cultural heritage policies in the Provincial Policy Statement, 2014.
The guide will also articulate how the conservation, wise use and management of cultural heritage and archaeological resources are in the provincial interest. It will explain why the conservation, wise use and management of these resources is an important and necessary part of land use planning and development.
The Provincial Policy Statement, 2014 includes new and strengthened policies related to the conservation of cultural heritage resources, Indigenous engagement regarding cultural heritage and municipal cultural planning. The guide updates an earlier publication to reflect these changes and to provide further guidance on implementing these policies.
The intended audiences include:
- planning professionals seeking to put municipal official plans into practice;
- members of the public seeking to understand the links between land use planning and the conservation of cultural heritage resources; and
- Indigenous communities seeking to understand the role they have in Ontario’s land use planning framework.
The purposes of this Proposal Notice are to:
- Advise the public that the province is proposing to develop a draft guide regarding the cultural heritage policies in the Provincial Policy Statement, 2014; and,
- Provide 45 days for the public to review and comment on the draft guide by submitting their comments in writing through the Environmental Registry.